Have a Question?

Visit our Q&A page and Get Answers.


44 Cook Street, Suite 100

Denver, CO 80206

Paying Child Support If Spouse Withholds Parenting Time

My ex sprung a child support payment after my daughters turned two. We broke up shortly after their first birthday, but I got stuck with back child support because I just gave her cash and bought everything myself. She quit letting me get my court ordered parenting time as we’ll as not let me have any say in their life. I’m worried the back child support which continues to rise will bury me. Is there any way I can get out of the hole without paying her a fortune? She has not followed any court orders with me.

Your obligation to pay child support is independent of your right to see your kids. If she is not letting you see your kids, you need to take her back to court. However, your child obligation does not cease just because you are not seeing your kids.

If your financial circumstances have changed (gotten worse) since the original child support order, you might be able to seek a modification. However, you need to pay her something every month. Failure to do so could land you in jail. At the very least she could get a judgment against you for past due child support which accrues interest at the rate of 12% per MONTH.