Have a Question?

Visit our Q&A page and Get Answers.


44 Cook Street, Suite 100

Denver, CO 80206

Paternity Exploitation

After divorce, my ex was paid for child support for two children she claimed to be mine. I thought no different at the time. A subsequent paternity test done in January 1997 showed my daughter not to be mine. My ex kept this information from me and continued to accept monthly checks for several years after. My putative daughter found out at the same time and was stopped from telling me by her mother. What can I do to get remuneration and added punitive compensation from the ex?

Unfortunately, twenty years have gone by. It is too late to contest paternity. A child born during the marriage is presumed to be a product of the marriage, unless you objected and contested paternity at that time. Any possible defenses you may have had regarding your obligation to pay child support have also expired.