Have a Question?

Visit our Q&A page and Get Answers.


44 Cook Street, Suite 100

Denver, CO 80206

Out of State Separation

This is kind of a 2 part question, if I file for divorce but my ex (common law) moved out of state with kid what happens with divorce and custody if i chose to have 50/50?

If your wife and child have been out of state for 6 months or more, Colorado may not have jurisdiction over the custody issues, and you may have to litigate that in the other state.

Colorado would most likely still have jurisdiction over the marriage but it depends on how long you both were in Colorado, and whether or not you lived here as a married couple.