Have a Question?

Visit our Q&A page and Get Answers.


44 Cook Street, Suite 100

Denver, CO 80206

Options for Recovering Past-Due Child Support

How long must my ex be behind in child support before I can go after her legally? She is currently 13 months behind. I am sure I could have gone after her long ago, but each month she has kept telling me that she will start paying next month, and I’ve have wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt. After a year, though, I am beginning to feel as though I have been patient long enough. What options do I have for recovering what she owes?

Technically, each missed payment becomes a money judgment. You can go after her even if she is only 1 month behind. Your options are to do a wage assignment if she has a job, file a contempt citation against her or file a motion to reduce arreages to judgment and garnish her wages, bank accounts or lien her house.