Have a Question?

Visit our Q&A page and Get Answers.


44 Cook Street, Suite 100

Denver, CO 80206

Father’s Obligation to Child

can a father relinquish his rights to a child or is he stuck with a child that he did not want or know about for over a year? Does the mother have to agree to allow him to do this? Can the courts force him to have visitation with this child? Can the father request the mother of the child does not contact him?

Unless, another man wishes to adopt your child or your parental rights are terminated by the state as a result of a dependency & neglect action, unfortunately you are responsible for the child despite the fact that you did not want nor know anything about him/her. If another man wants to adopt your child, yes the mother would have to agree to it. No, a court cannot force you to visit with your child. Yes, the father can request that the mother not contact him.