Have a Question?

Visit our Q&A page and Get Answers.


44 Cook Street, Suite 100

Denver, CO 80206

Child Support for Self-sufficient Child

My husband is garnished for support for (2) children at this time. His daughter has been on her own since 16 (she’s now 18) She is employed, rents her own apt. and claims her mother does not aide with any living expenses. Everything seems to be in her name also. She will be (19) Aug. 2006. Can we get the support modified at this time?

Yes. You can modify the child support on the daughter and ask that it be retroactive to the time that she moved out and began supporting herself. In any event, once she turns 19, the child support terminates. In either event, you will need to modify the child support to reflect that your husband only has 1 dependent child.